Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal enlargement gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Huge by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good choice for owners in search of a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the vital inexpensive flooring choices, making it an important alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should buy luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, should you set up it your self, it might solely price you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is slicing it tight towards a wall. All floating flooring require an enlargement house — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply you’ll want to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely relating to any underlayment. Relying on the kind you purchase, the underlayment might already be connected.
Watch: The way to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris in Alabama has spent in his new house, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal enlargement. Over the previous months, he says important gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the difficulty? If the gaps are crammed will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s wonderful how a lot supplies in a house increase and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re taking a look at crown molding.
These gaps will often shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round. In case you have some gaps which might be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As an alternative of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem nevertheless it received’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Take heed to be taught the simple technique to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s essential do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Moreover raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to choose them up. Is there a chunk of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These might be expensive, so see should you can lease one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To get rid of this downside sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If potential, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical remedies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely an expert arborist ought to apply them.
Take into account — eradicating acorns might be time-consuming and also you would possibly have to repeat it as new acorns fall. At all times put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and concentrate on bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his gasoline cooktop abruptly shattered the opposite day, despite the fact that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it could actually shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. A number of the commonest causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop isn’t put in accurately, it could actually put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it might put some stress on the highest, ultimately inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to speedy adjustments in temperature, reminiscent of from a sizzling pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it could actually trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra susceptible to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You possibly can name an expert to exchange the glass cooktop, nevertheless it may be costly. Take into account changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To stop a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following tips:
- Don’t place a sizzling pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This will trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and forestall warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it could actually scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, reminiscent of forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they will trigger influence harm.
- Clear the cooktop commonly with a light detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any filth, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it could actually trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- At all times comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Overlaying Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California apartment.
“The floor is simply too laborious, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can now we have extra comfy flooring put in on prime? It looks as if removing can be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll wish to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You would possibly run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it could actually block home equipment from opening or make them not degree along with your cupboards and counters. Test the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this received’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for overlaying terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring might be put in over the prevailing tiles and is sturdy and straightforward to wash.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring might be put in over the prevailing tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring can be put in over the prevailing tiles and is on the market in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that’s not connected to the subfloor, this sort of flooring might be put in over the terracotta tiles and might be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with an expert flooring specialist to find out the best choice in your particular scenario.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your initiatives. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Device — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you could first take away any standing water. Now, you possibly can use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s an alternative choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally known as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you may squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or when you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: The way to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s greatest to cross the paint by way of a filter to display out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should purchase disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by way of a lot too slowly. As an alternative, use a chunk of vinyl insect screening. Reduce the display about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the previous paint by way of the display. When accomplished, rinse out the display with a backyard hose and reserve it for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: The way to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
In case you have a remark, basic query about house enchancment, or one thing we have featured on In the present day’s House owner, please fill on this kind: